name='author'/> name='description'/> name='keywords'/> California True Crime : The Puente Hills Mall Murders, Part 1

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

The Puente Hills Mall Murders, Part 1

by Sean

So, while I was looking for a case to cover for the new season, I went through a giant list that I found a "most famous" cases out there. I don't really know how this list was made because there were some odd ones at the top when notorious cases were down on the list. Being the podcast that we were, I just had to scroll until I found something that said California. Once I finally found this case, the name alone of "The Puente Hills Mall Murders" intrigued with my infatuation with malls and mall culture. I had to look further into this one. Also being the year of 1991 in Southern California is always interesting to me. This is the buildup time to the time of unrest of '92, As I have researched through the years about the unrest, I know that it wasn't just because of Rodney King and the build of years between the Los Angeles Police Department and the communities that have been targeted.

Once I started digging deeper into this case, it floored me that I had not one scrap of memory of it. Five murders in a short amount of time and two of them so brazen with kidnappings, in broad daylight, in the middle of a bustling mall parking lot. It is very interesting how sometimes, by whatever reason, cases become so popular with the media, people watching, even internationally. This case might have been very intense and well known in the area, or maybe even out of the area during the time, but it seems to slip through the cracks with future coverage. As we go through this episode, we learn about the victims that are different in age, race and gender. The people the suspects picked didn't care seem to have a style, an area, but more of an opportunity which might have been why it was hard to link the murders and catch them after the first couple.

For more information on these kidnapping and murders listen to Part 1: The Puente Hills Mall Murders.



No comments:

Post a Comment